I put together a list of what I consider to be the most essential items needed to cloth diaper. This is what has worked for us for the last 6 months:
1. Diapers – I personally love Rumparooz pocket diapers and BumGenius Elementals AIO (All in One). These have been our go to diapers the last 6 months and I don’t have a single compliant. They aren’t cheap, but they have held up really nicely, even buying them used.
2. Covers –If I had to choose just one diaper system I would pick covers and prefolds. I have only used Thirsties and I love them! They have a double gusset that helps contain any messes. They have worked awesome for us from day one. Often I can just reuse the cover and just change the prefold out.
3. Prefolds – These are what absorb the pee and poop. They are the most basic cloth diapering method and what my mom used on me back in the 1980’s. You need to pair them with a waterproof cover to keep them from leaking. We have 20 of them, but could probably get by with just a dozen.
4. Snappi – These are what replaced safety pins. They are pretty nifty. They have “claws” that grip the fabric and hold the diaper together until you put the cover on.
5. Cloth Safe Diaper Cream – It is very important that you don’t use regular diaper cream with cloth diapers, unless you use some kind of fleece liner. It will be an absolute pain to wash out of your diapers. Since I don’t want to deal with that kind of a mess, I found this great cloth safe diaper rash, Grandma El’s. I only put it on when I see a little bit of readness, which is very rare. I think this tube is gong to last us a very long time.
6. Detergent – There are many cloth friendly detergents on the market. I used a few different ones before I found Shaklee. I now use Get Clean Fresh Laundry Concentrate on ALL our laundry and it lasts forever and cleans great! I don’t have to worry about chemicals or artificial fragrances touching the most sensitive parts of Liam’s body.
7. RLR Treatment – if and when we ever get any “stink” issues I will be stripping my diapers using this product. It has been recommended to me by many mothers. I have a few packets tucked away for when the day comes…
8. Wetbag – Since Liam goes to daycare, we use a wet bag every day. I pack away the clean diapers in the dry pocket and at the end of the day the wet pocket is filled with the dirty diapers. I also use this when we are traveling and can fit a surprising number of dirty diapers in this bag!!
9. Pail Liner – We keep a simple garbag can next to the changing table with this liner in it. Every couple of days I take it downstairs and dump the dirty diapers in the wash. If the liner gets dirty, I just toss it in along with the diapers.
What are YOUR cloth diapering essentials?? Am I missing something that you couldn’t live without??