I love oatmeal and I love bread, so when a friend gave me this recipe to try, I was thrilled.
They say that eating oatmeal daily can help with your milk supply. At 6 months old, I am still breastfeeding Liam (and plan to for as long as he wants) so anything I can do to help maintain my supply is great.
This bread was easy to make and turned out great. It only lasted a few days in our house.
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 Tbs shortening
- 5-5 1/2 cups flour
- 2 packs of yeast
- 1/2 cups of warm water
- Bring milk to a boil then add oatmeal and let stand for 2 hours
- Dissolve yeast in warm water
- Mix yeast with other ingredients, starting with 5 cups of flour and adding more until dough is smooth
- Form into loaves, either fill tow greased loaf pans or place as balls on parchment lined cookie sheet
- Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in size (around an hour)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minuets
Enjoy with some homemade jam…